21 January 2013

Assignment 1 - The Changes In Singapore

Task: Develop a static infographic to reflect your view on the changes in Singapore over a period of time.

For this task, I choose to focus on the development of the aviation industry in Singapore. I start off by doing some research, in which I finally decided to use the data from Changi Airport Group major milestones to create my infographic. Since there are just too much information provided in their website, I have decided to extract some significant events, in which I divide them into 3 categories namely 'Airports', 'Passenger Milestone' and 'Awards'.

For the airports, I had decided to draw the control tower building to represent the respective airports.




For Changi Airport Terminal 2, Budget Terminal, Terminal 3 and the upcoming Terminal 4, I ended up using the same sketch with a different heading since it best represent Changi Airport. 

After arranging the airports to fit the A4 size paper as per assignment requirement, I realised that I had not much space left. I end up using circles to represent the passenger milestone. As for the case of the awards, I had left it as it is, without any graphic to represent the details (except for a mere logo to represent the award section). After arranging all the elements, I end up with an infographic as below.


The comment that I got during the critique session is that there is too much words packed into this infographic. I received the suggestion to perhaps focus on fewer items. The response that I got with regards to the same control tower being used for the different terminals is that I could have use the unique architecture that exists in the different terminals to represent them. To make it more attractive, I could also draw a runway to represent the timeline.

I then choose to focus my work on Changi Airport and then went back to do more research on it. After some considerations, I had finally decided to proceed with doing an infographic showing the statistics for air traffic as provided by CAG's annual report. As before, there are 3 categories namely 'Passenger Movements', 'Airfreight Movements' and 'Aircraft Movements'. The difference is that this time round, I am handling with mainly statistics, thus able to avoid the problem of having too much words in the infographic. I then proceeded on to draw images that can represent the respective categories. 





I had also reuse the Changi Airport control tower as a background image, but put in some colours as well to allow it to blend with the other images.


After drawing the necessary items, I began to rearrange them. For the statistics, I had decided to use graphs to show the changes. I end up having an infographic as such.


After looking at the infographic for a few times, I felt that information is not presented clearly, and that it looks more like a graph with a bunch of images, rather than an infographic. I then decided to fine tune this, until it looks like the following.


I felt that I had able to show the changes clearly, and also make it looks more like an infographic. I then use C.R.A.P. to analyse this infographic to ensure its quality. For the contrast, I had use 3 different colour schemes. The colour in fact matches the image representing their respective categories. As for repetition, it can be seen in the shapes that I use to portray the statistics. As for alignment, I did align the sub-headings with the statistics. I had also draw some guiding lines in the process of arranging the items to actually separate the 3 categories evenly, as though each of the categories are filling up 1/3 of a pie chart. The 'pie chart' has also helped in terms of the proximity of the items, making it clear to view the distinct groups.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Assaw Muhammad Sadiq,

My name is Abdul Salam Ibrahim, I am interested to know more about your drawing on Changi Airport, Please send me the respond to my email.
salamibrahim.id@gmail.com

Thank you